The Pirate is Rock Exotica’s HMS aluminum carabiner. HMS, also known as a pear-shape, is a carabiner shape originally designed for use with a Munter Hitch knot. HMS is an abreviation of the German term “Halbmastwurfsicherung” which means half clove hitch belay. This type of knot can be used to safely rappel or lower down a heavy load. It was named the “Munter Hitch” after the Swiss mountain guide Werner Munter who made the use of the knot popular in the 1970s.
- Autolock Gate: Safe self locking gate requires three movements to open and locks closed automatically.
- CE Certification: Testing performed by an independent lab to ensure the product meets the appropriate specification.
- Certification: Certified to EN 12275 – Mountaineering Equipment – Carabiners
- Certification: Certified to EN 362 – Personal Fall Protection Equipment – Connectors
- Subdued Color: Available in black for tactical military and police operations.
As an HMS, or pear-shaped carabiner, the Pirate easily accommodates the use of a wide range of gear, webbing or ropes. It can be used as a belay or rappel carabiner attached directly to a harness or an anchor. It can also be used like traditional carabienr as a connector. The Rock Exotica Pirate’s is made from a half inch diameter round frame to make it more durable. This allows it to withstand abuse from dirty ropes and metal connectors much better than thinner carabiners. The Pirate’s durability matched with Rock Exotica’s build quality ensures a long service life for the working professional or recreational enthusiast.
The carabiner is available with 3 different types of gate openings:
- Auto-Lock: A three stage automatic locking carabiner. This gate required three motions to open. This is our prefered type of carabiner since it is easy to open and prevents gates being accidently left unlocked.
- ORCA-Lock: The ORCA-Lock carabiner is a unique Rock Exotica product. It works like a three stage automatic locking carabiner but also has a special function. The gate can be set in an unlocked position but after connected works as a three stage automatic locking carabiner. This is useful in sitations where the carabiner must be kept available for easy use but is not being used as a load bearing component.
- Screw-Lock: A screw lock carabiner is the classic locking gate. It has a screw locking mechanism that is turned by hand to lock or unlock the carabiner. This is very useful in situations where the carabiner must be opened and closed repeatedly such as during rigging. It is also useful in tactical situations since manipulating the gate is silent.
The Rock Exotica Pirate is available in normal and captive wire eye version. The captive wire eye acts as a keeper to prevent webbing or rope from rotating in the frame of the carabiner.
Rock Exotica Pirate Characterists
- Wide top radius allows munter hitch belay, or the connection of multiple items
- Durable 0.5″ round-stock frame
- Snag-resistant keylock nose design
- Large and ergonomic angled gate opening
- CNC machined frame ensures tight tolerances and smooth operation
- Pirate 3-Stage Auto Lock
- Major Axis MBS: 26kN
- Minor Axis MBS: 12kN
- Open MBS: 7kN
- Gate Opening: 25mm (1.0 inch)
- Weight: 87g (3.09 oz)
- Colors: Orange, Black
- Certification: CE, EN12275, EN362, UIAA121
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.