The Rock Exotica rockO aluminum carabiner is based on the traditional oval carabiner and it is one of the greatest carabiners for rope access, rope rescuing, climbing, caving, and cayoneering. The oval carabiner was the original carbiner design. The rockO carabiner uses this traditional shape but makes it slightly non-symetrical to increase the strength. This non-symetrical design moves more of the weight towards the stronger spine and away from the weaker gate. This design is great for users that need extra room in the carabiner while keeping gear aligned.
The mean breaking strength (MBS) of the rockO carabiner is weaker than the rockD carabiner but because of the shape can maintain its breaking strength in more rigging situations. This makes the Rock Exotica rockO carabiner is a perfect general use carabiner.
- CE Certification: Testing performed by an independent lab to ensure the product meets the appropriate specification.
- Certification: Certified to EN 12275 – Mountaineering Equipment – Carabiners
- Certification: Certified to EN 362 – Personal Fall Protection Equipment – Connectors
- CMC Machined: CNC machined construction from aluminum billet.
- Shape: Oval O symmetric shape provides ease of use.
The carabiner is available with 3 different types of gate openings:
- Auto-Lock: A three stage automatic locking carabiner. This gate required three motions to open. This is our prefered type of carabiner since it is easy to open and prevents gates being accidently left unlocked.
- ORCA-Lock: The ORCA-Lock carabiner is a unique Rock Exotica product. It works like a three stage automatic locking carabiner but also has a special function. The gate can be set in an unlocked position but after connected works as a three stage automatic locking carabiner. This is useful in sitations where the carabiner must be kept available for easy use but is not being used as a load bearing component.
- Screw-Lock: A screw lock carabiner is the classic locking gate. It has a screw locking mechanism that is turned by hand to lock or unlock the carabiner. This is very useful in situations where the carabiner must be opened and closed repeatedly such as during rigging. It is also useful in tactical situations since manipulating the gate is silent.
- Non-Locking: The gate on a non locking carabiner does not have a mechanism to lock it closed. This can result in a very dangerous situation where ropes and equipment can become disconnected by accident. We do not recommend this carabiner for life safety applications unless the user is fully aware of the possible dangers.
The Rock Exotica rockO is available in normal and a captive wire eye version. The captive wire eye acts as a keeper to prevent webbing or rope from rotating in the frame of the carabiner.
Rock Exotica rockO Carabiner Characterists
- “Enhanced” oval optimizes strength while maintaining utility of oval shape
- Designed to center gear and lines in middle of bend radius
- Snag-resistant keylock nose design
- Large and ergonomic angled gate opening
- CNC machined frame ensures tight tolerances and smooth operation
- RockO Non-Locking
- Major Axis MBS: 242kN
- Minor Axis MBS: 10kN
- Open MBS: 6kN
- Gate Opening: 25mm (1.0 inch)
- Weight: 67g (2.36 oz)
- Colors: Purple
- Certification: CE, EN12275, EN362, UIAA121